March 5, 1851, Theta, Tennessee.
November 9, 1928, Tullahoma, Tennessee.
Rose Hill Cemetery, Columbia, Tennessee.
Dortch was teaching music in Maury, Tennessee, in 1880, and was working as an evangelist by 1886. His works include:
- Tidings of Joy (Columbia, Tennessee: 1878)
- National Tidings of Joy (Nashville, Tennessee: National Baptist Convention of America, 1878)
- Grace and Glory, with W. G. E. Cunnyngham (Nashville, Tennessee: Southern Methodist Publishing, 1882)
- Gospel Melodies, with William Dale & Charles Pollock (Nashville, Tennessee: Cumberland Presbyterian Publishing, 1890)
- Spirit and Life, with Edmund Lorenz (Dayton, Ohio: Christian Publishing Association, 1893)
- Choice Songs (Nashville, Tennessee: National Baptist Convention of America, 1894)
- Gospel Voices (Nashville, Tennessee: South-Western Publishing, 1895)
- Gospel Voices No. 3 (Columbia, Tennessee: David E. Dortch, 1902)
- Hymns of Victory, Parts 1 and 2 (Columbia, Tennessee: Dortch Publishing, 1905)
- Happy Greetings to All (Charlotte, North Carolina: Dortch Publishing, 1916)