June 6, 1839. Detroit, Michigan.
December 28, 1902, Detroit, Michigan.
Elmwood Cemetery, Detroit, Michigan.
Silas was the son of John Farmer & Roxanna Hamilton, and husband of Orpha C. Littlefield.
He became City Historiographer of Detroit, Michigan, in 1882. His works include:
- Association Hymn Book: Compiled for Young Men’s Christian Associations and Union Religious Meetings (Detroit, Michigan: J. M. Arnold, 1869)
- Illustrated Guide and Souvenir of Detroit, circa 1878
- History of Detroit and Michigan, 1884
- History of Detroit and Wayne County and Early Michigan, 1890
- All About Cleveland
- All About Detroit, circa 1899
- Souvenir of the Pointe: Grosse Pointe on Lake Saint Claire
- Just Ask Him in to Stay
- My Mother Has Gone
- Onward, Christian, Onward Go
- Our Hearts Are Light and Cheerful
- Our Watchword