July 15, 1860, Paris, Illinois.
September 17, 1952, Indianapolis, Indiana.
Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Charles was the son of Disciples of Christ minister Augustus Damon Fillmore and Hannah Maria Lockwood, and brother of James and Frederick Fillmore.
He won a music scholarship at the Cincinnati College of Music, then taught for a year at Bath Seminary in Owingsville, Kentucky.
He then traveled for about a year and taught singing classes in various parts of America. Afterward, he took additional music studies in Cincinnati, Ohio. He studied for the ministry at Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana, graduating in 1890.
He pastored in Lafayette, Indiana; Shelbyville, Indiana; was
State Evangelist (for one year) in Ogden, Utah; Peru, Indiana; Carthage, Ohio; and Hillside Church, Indianapolis, Indiana. He was one of the editors of the temperance paper Clean Politics, and of The Musical Messenger. He wrote several hundred Gospel songs in his lifetime.
- Abide in Me, True and Living Vine
- Are You Ready for the Judgment Day?
- Are You Serving Christ the Lord?
- Behold, I Stand at Your Door and Knock
- Behold the Birds That Fly
- Brighter Days Are Coming
- Father, While We Come to Thee
- Following Jesus Day by Day
- Go with Me to Gethsemane
- God Has Given You Talents, My Brother
God Is Love the Gentle Breeze
- God, We Know, Will Surely Hear Little Children
- Gospel Feast Is Spread, The
- Have You Heard the Olden Story?
- Help Us, O Lord, to Trust in Thee
- I Am Dreaming Tonight of the Days Gone By
- I Love Thine Every Hill and Vale
- I Was Glad and My Heart Did Rejoice
- I Will
- In the Vineyard of the Master
- I’ve Read of a Wonderful Land
- Jesus Is a Loving Shepherd, I Am His Lamb
- Jesus Is Calling
- Lord Is My Shepherd, No Want Shall I Fear, The
- Love of My Heart, Entire Not in Part, The
- Make Some Other Heart Rejoice
- Mother Dear, I’ve Been Thinking Much of You Today
- Mother, Praying for Your Wayward Boy
- My Jesus, I Love Thee, My Love Thou Dost Ask
- My Savior
- Now Is the Time to Accept the Lord
- Remember Thee, Can I Forget
- Remember Thy Creator
- Ring the Christmas Bells Again
- Since I Have Found the Savior
- Sowing the Seed by Night and by Day
- Suffer the Children to Come to Me
- Tell Mother I’ll Be There
- There Is a Way, a Narrow Way
- This World Has Many Burdened Souls
- This World Is Full of Pretty Flowers
- Time Ordained of God, The
- We Are Volunteers in a Youthful Band
- We Have Taken Christ Jesus as Master and Lord
- We Need Thy Presence, Lord
- We’re in a Fight We Know Is Right
- What a Stream of Crime and Woe
- What Is the Song of the Heavenly Host?
- When I Awaken in the Morning
- When the Foes Oppressed God’s People
- When Thy Burden Is Too Great to Bear
- Whose Was the Name by the Prophets Foretold?
- You Are Writing Your Own Book of Life