Born: June 14, 1815, High Street, Mold, Flintshire, Wales.
Died: November 14, 1874, Liverpool, England.
Buried: Necropolis (now Grant Gardens), Liverpool, England.
John was the son of Enoch Lloyd and Catherine Ambrose, and husband of Catherine Evans.
His father was ordained minister of Hill Cliffe Chapel, Warrington, in 1830. After his parents moved to Hill Cliffe, John and his brother Isaac moved to Liverpool.
John eventually became assistant master in a private school in Liverpool, and later joined the staff of the Picton school. In 1838, he began to teach in the Liverpool Mechanics’ Institute.
In 1849, he gave up teaching due to bad health and he and a friend began a short-lived lithography business.
John later worked as a
commercial traveler (company representative) in North Wales for the firm of Francis Firth, Liverpool, and the successor firm of Woodall and Jones. He left this post in 1871 due to ill health.
While in Liverpool, John was precentor at the Tabernacle Congregational church, where his cousin William Ambrose (Emrys) was a member. In 1841, he moved to the Brownlow Hill Congregational chapel, where he also served as precentor.
In 1851 he moved to Bwlch Bach. He moved to Chester in 1852 for better educational opportunities for his children. In 1864, he moved to Rhyl, and spent the rest of his life there.
Lloyd composed hymn tunes, anthems, part songs, and the cantata The Prayer of Habakkuk. He created his first hymn tune, Wyddgrug, in Liverpool in 1831, at age 16.
John’s son, Charles Francis Lloyd, with Howell Lewis (Elfed), wrote his biography: John Ambrose Lloyd. History of His Life and Works.